A brief history

Catedra

The Department was founded in October, 1945 by Emeritus Professor S. Blinklin. Till 1951 the professor was the head of the subject. In the following years, the Microbiology, Virology and Immunology Department was headed in turn by professors S. Recimenski, H. Galikeev, O. Komarik, V. Dercaci, A.Vizitiu.

From 1969 till 1989, Emeritus scientist, PhD V. Nikitin, whose activity was remarkable was the head of the department. V. Nikitin supervised research on exploration and improvement of rapid diagnosis methods of infectious diseases, thus providing titles for PhD and Doctor theses of St. Plugaru (1973), Gh. Postolache (1973), V. Rudic (1974), T. Gheorghiţa (1981, 1991), V. Nahaba (1982), A. Cotici (1988), Iu. Roşcin (1986, 1992), N. Moraru (1992).
From 1999 to 2004, the department was headed by Emeritus Professor and PhD, P. Galeţchi.
Research of the department professors in the period 1994-1997 resulted in the defense of PhD thesis by L. Sicinski (1997) and MD thesis V. Vorojbit (1997).
In April 1992, by the order of the Ministry of Health, the Microbiology, Virusology and Immunology Department was founded. PhD, professor T. Gheorghiţa was doctor in the founder and head of the department till 2004. The newly established department continues the research on development and improvement of diagnosis methods of infectious diseases. The results of this research contributed to the development of guidelines and application of new methods to identify microorganisms in bacteriological laboratory practices. They also resulted in defendence of PhD theses by V. Bortă (1998), R. Anghel (2002), N. Florea (2003), G. Balan (2008).
In September 2004, by the order of the university rector, the department was named the Microbiology, Virology and Immunology Department. From 2004 to 2008, the department was headed by Emeritus professor and PhD St. Plugaru.
Since 2008 the department is headed by Emeritus professor and academician, PhD, V. Rudic.